SPEECH OF THE NATIONAL PRESIDENT OF ISLAMIC MEDICAL ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (IMAN) PROFESSOR IBRAHIM OREAGBA TO MARK JUNE 14TH 2021 WORLD BLOOD DONOR DAY
In the Name of Allaah the Gracious the Merciful. Peace and benediction be upon the seal of all Prophets and Messengers of Allaah, Nabi Muhammad Salla Llaahu alayhi was sallam.
Dear members of IMAN in Nigeria and the diaspora as well as the general public, it gives me a great pleasure to present this simple and concise address today to mark this year’s world blood donor day.
2. Dear compatriots, it is very pertinent to remind us all that ensuring our contributions to the salvation of life is as the salvation of the entire world. And any effort aimed at destroying one is as the destruction of all. The Quran rightly put that in suuratul maidah chapter 5 verse 32.
3. Blood and blood products have been scientifically proven and medically confirmed to have the capacity to save lives when used appropriately in human beings that need them. Hence Islamic Medical Association of Nigeria(IMAN) as the umbrella health body for all Muslim health professionals and workers identifies with and recognises the need for all to see blood donation as a great jihad fisabillaah.
4. It is said that blood transfusion plays critical roles in the provision of qualitative health care to the people, however its pool remains scarce despite being a critical resource needed by patients with acute blood loss especially, and chronic illnesses/conditions generally.
5. Statistics available from National Blood Transfusion Services(NBTS) in Nigeria show that greater than 90% of total blood donation in Nigeria is from commercial donation while voluntary donations is less than 3% of the total. You should also know that commercial blood donation though helpful comes at a heavy price of increased rate of transfusion transmissible infections among the recipients of such blood.
6. The statistics above are not good for our nation and as such, Islamic Medical Association of Nigeria key into the National Blood Transfusion Services (NBTS) 10 year- strategic plan which includes
A. Target of 1,000,000 safe blood units annually
B. National strategic safe blood units reserve
C. Increase advocacy for the passage of the National blood services commission bill by the national assembly and a subsequent speedy assent by the president of the federal republic of Nigeria.
7. IMAN supports safe blood transfusion services and to this end, has adopted June 14th also as a day to join the world in massive mobilisation for safe blood donation for both its health and spiritual wellbeing. Today and tomorrow across the country, IMAN in collaboration with the hospitals or health facilities has urged her members to troop out to voluntarily donate blood for the good of all.
8. IMAN also supports regular blood donation from her members not only on a yearly basis. IMAN has been doing this type of regular exercise however it is injecting more fervour into it, in shaa Allaah so that together, we can achieve a better pool of blood and blood products for the qualitative care for those who are in need of such services. Donate today and Allaah bless you all.
Professor Ibrahim A Oreagba
Islamic Medical Association of Nigeria
14th June 2021/3rd Zul Qaadah 1442